Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Monday Session

Unexpectedly, I went along to the Monday Session. Normally I'm out dancing on a Monday night, and the session is only once a month - the third Monday. Sometimes holidays and things conspire to make me free when it's on. I've only been once before and the atmosphere was distinctly breton-esque but I was assured that it should be a mixed session. The venue is very conducive. Small but the acoustics are good and the staff and regulars are keen on the music. Way out in the back of beyond - it is just a pub and a church but what a pub and what a church! (The Yew Tree at Barfreston in Kent BTW). A good time was had by all and it was still going at 11:30 when I left. A fair mix of players but vey good if beginners want to go somewhere less threatening than one of the bigger sessions where there are 'pro-sessioneers'. Some of the tunes were way too fast (a sign of nerves?) and not many joined in on the standards (which was a bit strange). It was almost as if each had a repertoire and only played if their list coincided with yours. Still much to commend it, especially for beginners.

No comments: