Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wednesday 19th August 2009

The warp in Folkspace continues. It is unlikely that the Irish session will reconvene before September.

On a brighter note, I went to a very comfortable and friendly session at the Ship at Conyer last night where there was not a single ego spoilt proceedings. How refreshing. Now if only we can translate that to Thursdays ......... I can't think of when I last spent time in an English /Mixed session with a nicer group of people. Of course all the other sessions contain nice people.

The bad news is that the landlord leaves in September and the future of the session is uncertain.

Tomorrow, well I have been debating about it with myself. The Thursday session was one of the first I went to when I arrived in Kent. It's been through a few changes but it has weathered them all. The problem is that it isn't often a session in the accepted sense of the word. It's a band practice (3 of them are in the band) which the rest can join in or not. If guests arrive, they may get invited to play or sing - usually as an entertainment spot, but few of the regulars do.

As I've said before, it can be an enjoyable folk evening and that suits many people who want a second folk club with a difference (music, dance, poetry, songs) but sometimes, I hanker for the good old fashioned go-round-the-circle session like we had last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Conyer session was really good.It felt like a group of friends playing in someone's front room. All credit to those participating and to Shiner the origintor of the session. The Bear session can be great too, but last Thursdays did feel like a band benefit. Several people felt excluded.

SessionDiary said...

Well put errr... anonymous. I thought the Bear better than usual but still room for improvement!